I’ve always wanted to perform a split test on changes I’ve made to website’s but didn’t have the faintest idea of where to start. Upon surfing the interwebz one evening I stumbled across Visual Website Optimiser, claiming to be the world’s easiest A/B testing tool. I decided to give it a shot. Here are the results:

Background information

Client: greatideas.net.au – an ecommerce site for a Dietitian store, Great Ideas in Nutrition, located in Coolangatta on the Gold Coast. Website primarily used for appointment setting, selling products and general information about the products and business owner.

Page: Home Page greatideas.net.au

Optimisation Goal: Increase number of signups/new members.

Untitled design (7)

Page Diagnosis

On first glance, the sign-up form is well-positioned on the page and the business offers a free resource received upon submission. There are also some terrible components of the form that stick out like a sore thumb for me. The dark headline and lack of description of what you’re actually getting from giving your all-so-precious email address. I wasn’t being sarcastic either, personally I’m scarred from being bombarded by spammy emails minutes after sign up, where’s my assurance? It doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. To be successful the form needs to communicate both value and relevance.

form finished

A/B Test Hypothesis and Treatment A

Before creating the treatment, I did a great deal of research on what does and doesn’t convert. I found there to be countless case studies out there, claiming they had the magic bullet (I imagine that it’s truly dependent upon the industry you’re in and who your target audience is). However, all seemed to agree that I needed to get rid of the words ‘subscribe’ and ‘submit’ ASAP, among other things. Here’s what I came up with:

design1

Highlight include:

  1. A descriptive headline that tells the customer exactly what I want them to do, emphasising ‘free’ and using ‘today’.
  2. This section took a lot of consulting with the owner. This is essentially the USP section of the product. I added the amount of people who have viewed the product as an extra assurance that it is something that has been widely used.
  3. Form boxes have increased in size, with addition of ‘Best’ in front of ‘E-mail*’ to communicate that this is an important step and that we value their details.
  4. Light orange seems be what is generally agreed as the best converting colour for buttons. I think ‘FREE ACCESS’ as the CTA is most effective also.
  5. What’s the biggest issue people have with submitting their email address online? – having their details sold to unsolicited companies. The padlock icon along with the statement ‘We respect your privacy’ attempts to counteract the fear.
  6. Originally I was going to go with a simple white background, after realising it looked unbearably bland, I went with a subtle patterned grey.

Test Results and Validations

I ran the test for 14 days and reached a sample size of 2098 visitors, and 34 conversions. The standard error was 0% and the statistical confidence was 99%. Throughout the duration of the test, the Treatment outperformed the control. The Treatment increased sign-ups by 30.21%.

finalc

I know there are more than likely other minor tweaks that could quite easily turn my 30% to 60%. I will continue to test and optimise different elements to maximise results. Now that the test is over, I will start testing alternate headlines against each other to see which performs best.